Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!!!

This year we chose a superhero theme for our costumes. Jared was Captain America, Cayden was Spiderman, and I was a very pregnant Batgirl. Jared and I only dressed up for our ward party though. At first Cayden was just excited to get candy but by the end of the trunk or treat he was holding out his bag and saying "treat" without any prompting from me. He heard the other kids saying trick or treat. I made sure he said thank you to everyone that gave him candy.


So, last night was so much fun. Cayden took a late nap yesterday so we had to wake him up to go Trick-or-Treating. He was pretty tired and hasn't been feeling 100% again so it took a while to get him into his costume. He was very grumpy and cuddly when he woke up. We weren't sure if we were even going to get him out. But he cheered up after a while and was finally ready to get "canny". Our child is addicted to candy.

Growing up I think I went Trick or Treating maybe 2 or 3 times. My mom didn't like the idea of going around begging for candy so she carried on her family tradition of "White Magic." We would make treats and take them out the the neighbors and family friends. They were always happy to get our treats and would give us candy in return. So the idea of Trick or Treating is somewhat strange to me. I was a little nervous to take Cayden out but he and Jared were excited. We decided to take him to my parents neighborhood. Tim and Chris both came out with us to watch Cayden Trick or Treat for the first time. Cayden was excited to have his uncles come with him.

Ready to go! (we had to buy a spider man beanie because we lost the hat the came with his costume)

"Yeah" Jared can get him to say and do almost anything!


At first Cayden wasn't sure what to do. Jared would take him up to the door and walk him through a routine. Well, Cayden isn't much for routine. He wanted to go inside every house and chat and play with their dog. I swear, everyone in my parents neighborhood has a dog! If Cayden didn't see or hear a dog he would ask where it was and expect to see it. It was cute at first but it made for a long evening. Jared took Cayden up to almost every door. He would ask me to go with him a few times and then he wanted Uncle Tim to take him. He didn't understand why he couldn't go up to every house so we tried to explain that if the house was "dark" we couldn't go ask for candy. After a while I think he finally caught on.

Trick or treating with Daddy. (first house)

Walking with Daddy


After we made it back to my parents house Cayden was ready to eat his candy. It was hard to get him to eat dinner first. We did our best to limit his candy intake but somehow he kept sneaking more. He LOVED to run to the door and pass out candy to the trick or treaters. They all commented on how cute he was too. (I love when people think he's cute. It makes me happy.)

After a little bit my sister surprised us and brought us "white magic" treats. We weren't expecting to them to come down but they did. It was fun to hang out with them. Cayden and Spencer and best buddies. They get along so well.

Handy Manny and Spiderman


So we all hung out until everyone was tired and then we came home. It was a fun Halloween. We are hoping that next year we can have our party again. I must say though, it was nice to have a carefree night rather than tending to party guests.



Zoning out at the end of the night.

Hope everyone had as much fun last night as we did!
~Love to All~

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a fun tradition instead of trick or treating. I went as a kid, but as an adult I've always thought it was a little weird.

You do have a cute child!

:)

Julie said...

What fun! Cute spiderman... excited to see him in a couple weeks!

Jess said...

Those are darling pictures. Tayler asked me what I was going to be and I said "a grouchy pregnant mommy" she rolled her eyes and finished getting ready :)

You look amazing Katie! If I didn't know you were pregnant in that 1st picture I never would have guessed it. I love the theme that you did.

Cayden is a cutie. I'm all about begging for candy (or making my kids do it)!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey... I thought he was Homestar Runner. LOL