Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tender Mercies

As this summer has been difficult for us I have been thinking a lot about a conference talk given by Elder Bednar back in 2005. It is a talk that has always stuck with me and makes me think often about the little things each day that the Lord blesses me with.

What Are the Tender Mercies of the Lord?
"Since last October I have reflected repeatedly upon the phrase “the tender mercies of the Lord.” Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15)." -Elder Bednar

When I first thought of the Lord's tender mercies for me I had only lived in Colorado for a few months. I really hated living here. I loved being with my family but I missed the comfort of being in Florida. I missed my friends, my grandparents, my home. One Sunday I was having a particularly difficult day and my sister Kimmy said I should come to the singles ward with her. I hated the singles ward but needing that special sister time I decided to go with her. As we were sitting in Relief Society they announced the opening hymn was Come Come Ye Saints. I love that song and was happy to sing it. However, it wasn't until we sung the third verse that I realized why I needed to go to church with Kimmy that day.

3. We’ll find the place which God for us prepared,Far away in the West,Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;There the Saints will be blessed.We’ll make the air with music ring,Shout praises to our God and King;Above the rest these words we’ll tell—All is well! All is well!

As I sat there and sung those words my eyes filled with tears because I knew that I was where I needed to be. I knew that going to church with Kimmy and hearing the words of that hymn was a tender mercy. I knew the Lord had a plan for me and I was exactly where he wanted me.

It was only a few short months after that Sunday that I met Jared and I knew more of what the Lord's plan for me was.

This year has been a struggle for our family. With Jared being out of work and wondering how we were going to survive week to week. With help from family and our Bishop we have been able to stay on our feet. But even more recently I have seen many more of the Lord's tender mercies bless our little family.

When Jared and I felt it was time to have another little one join our family we were broke. I was working but not bringing in enough to support our family. We were in the temple and I just cried because I thought "how on earth can we afford to have another baby." Then the tears went away and I felt peace in knowing that the Lord would take care of us. I was terrified to tell Jared that I felt it was time to have another child but when I did he looked at me and smiled and said, "OK." I was shocked but then learned that he felt that same peace that I had.

As the summer rolled on things got tough but we have been so blessed. Cayden has been healthy. I have been healthy. Our little new one is growing just as he should. And Jared has been blessed to keep finding small job opportunities. I know that the Lord is watching over us and I am so thankful that He is.

Things haven't been hard for just our little family. My little brother Matt is struggling on his mission. He got so sick and no one to talk to. His companion,mission pres., and area authority don't speak English. He was in bed for 3 days sick as a dog with only his own thoughts to drive him crazy. He was ready to quit and come home. He was granted permission to call home and talked to my dad for over an hour. He felt better after talking to my dad though. We are waiting for an e-mail this week to find out how he is doing.

Then we found out that my Granddaddy was sick and had to be in the hospital. He was so sick he had no idea what was going on around him. He is better now and is home. My mom went down to help care for him.

With everything going so badly its hard not to get down. Just like the old saying, "When it rains, it pours." Satan is working really hard to make it pour and get our family down. But when I think of all of the Lord's tender mercies it helps to keep me from getting down.

I am so thankful for my knowledge of the gospel and thankful for the spirit it brings into my home. I am thankful to have a husband who honors his priesthood. I am thankful for the knowledge of eternal families and that I have been blessed with such an awesome family. I am thankful for my temple marriage and a husband that loves me as much as I love him. I am thankful for the blessing of being a mom. I am thankful for a little boy who makes me laugh EVERY day. I am thankful for Father's blessings that help keep me going when I'm down and for a father who is always ready and willing to give them.

So my challenge to everyone is, that no matter how hard things get, you take a step back and find the tender mercies that you are blessed with every day. It makes living life so much easier.

~LOVE TO ALL~

3 comments:

Julie said...

Great post Katie! It is extreemly easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself, yet it is also easy to see how blessed we truely are when we take a few minutes and reflect on all the tender mercies in our lives!

Thanks for the great reminder!

Jess said...

I love to look at things through that perspective. Too many times I find myself feeling sorry for myself because of a particular situation. Thanks for the great reminder of the "bigger picture" Even the little things makes us so aware that we are not forgotten, but loved more than we could ever know.

Sure love you guys!!

Unknown said...

It's too true that we are blessed every day. We just need to look for those blessings and really appreciate them.

I know Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. That thought keeps me going when I just want to quit!

Good luck guys! Love ya!