Monday, August 8, 2011

Birthday Gift Weekend

So I wanted to do something special for Jared's 30th birthday this year. I know how much he LOVES hiking and camping and really wanted to do a camping weekend in the mountains. But if you know me you know that I don't do "real" camping. So Jared had to settle for "Katie Camping". I found a cabin in Estes Park for a reasonable price and booked it. We had our own bathroom, kitchen, fireplace, A/C, and cable tv. I couldn't wait to give Jared his gift because I knew he would be excited. I had to wait over a month to tell him about it. And then we had to wait until the end of July to go. (The end of July worked out better with our timing)

SO Friday Jared picked me up from work and we were on our way. We stopped at the grocery store to get food for the weekend and then went to Benihana for dinner. So we actually didn't get up there until 11:00pm. Poor Jared was so tired too from all of his animation.


LOTS OF PICTURES AHEAD!


Saturday we woke up and went hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP). Round trip our hike was just over 6 miles. We started our hike at the Sprague Lake Trail Head.



I Loved this Stream that we stumbled upon.


I also really like the giant random rocks.



We came across this BEAUTIFUL waterfall about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. There weren't any other hikers on our trail so we felt special that we got to see it.

Then we finally reached our destination: Alberta Falls. It was gorgeous!
On the way back down we stopped at this Lake we found on the hike up. Jared loved all the lily pads (I think it made him think about Cayden's love of frogs) I loved the Mountain view!


Once we got back down we rested at Sprague Lake before heading back to our cabin.


After some dinner we ventured out for some mini golf. It was a really fun course. There was even some wile life! We saw a yellow bellied marmot hiding under a fake rock.
Jared was mad because I had just gotten a hole in one. ;)

On Sunday we woke up, had breakfast, checked out of our cabin, and headed back in to RMNP.
This time we took the northern road and went to the Alluvial Fan. Its a pretty sweet place!

Can you see Jared on the big round rock at the top?
After our hike around the Alluvial fan we headed back into town to window shop for a bit and have lunch before we headed home. We both fell in love with Estes Park.
The address of this lounge is 110 1/2. It reminded me of Platform 9 3/4. ;)


It was a FABULOUS weekend. We had such a great time and enjoyed being together. I don't think Jared minded that it wasn't "real" camping. I think I'm converting him. ;) In fact we had such a wonderful time that I think it is going to become a yearly tradition. We can't wait to go back.


(HUGE HUGE HUGE Thanks to my Mom, Dad and siblings for keeping the boys for us. It was a nice child free weekend. We couldn't survive without all of you!)




~Love To All~

2 comments:

Jess said...

Those are great pictures! I am so glad you had such a fun time together. Isn't it amazing that you can really have a conversation (sans kids :) they are great, but sometimes you just need that break to reconnect. It looks like a beautiful place! Happy anniversary you 2 love birds.
love ya!

Unknown said...

That is so my kind of camping! These poor camping boys who marry non-camping girls!

What a fun birthday surprise!