Thursday, October 15, 2009

When Pigs Fly!

That is the stupid phrase that kept going through my head at 1 am Tuesday morning as we sat in the emergency room at the Children's Hospital.

On Monday I came home from work and Jared said Cayden had fallen asleep. I thought it was a little strange until I talked to my mom and she said that he had only had a 45 min nap. But when we woke him up around 6:15 he had a fever. I took his temp and it was 102. So we pulled out the motrin and loaded him up. He was shaking with chills so we wrapped him in a blanket while we made dinner. He seemed to be ok once the motrin kicked in. Until midnight rolled around...

We switched Cayden into a "big boy" bed to get ready for the new baby and he wakes up nightly crying for "Daddy". So at midnight when he woke up crying for "Daddy" I rolled over and said, "Jared, he wants you." and rolled back over to go to sleep. A few minutes later Jared came back in and woke up up to ask when we need to be worried about Cayden's fever because he was at 104 and had real shallow breathing. I jumped up and called my mom and got her advice about what to do. When we couldn't get his fever to come down I called the on call doctor and he said to take him to the ER. We didn't really want to have to do that so I took his temperature one more time. But when my cold hand touched his skin it sent him into uncontrollable shaking. He was shaking so bad I thought I was having a seizure from his high fever. So I asked Jared to give him a blessing and when he finished we decided to take him in. We did get his fever down to about 102.

We got him in the car and headed to the ER. When we got there Cayden was wide awake and happy as could be. He wouldn't stop taking about the truck parked next to us.So we second guessed taking him in. So Jared asked him if he wanted to go into the hospital and his reply was "uh huh." Then Jared asked him if he knew what a hospital was and he said "uh huh." (He goes the hospital a lot with my mom and brother) So Jared asked him again if he wanted to go in and he said "uh huh." So I said "You do" and he replied "I do." S0 I took his temperature again and it was back up to 103. So we got out and took him in.

They weighed him and took his temp. and he was up to 104.9. I can't imagine how he was feeling. He just wanted to cuddle with Jared and kept saying "hurt" and grabbing his tummy. They decided to give him more motrin because they said we didn't give him enough. I warned them that he was grabbing his tummy and as soon as he took the motrin he threw up. I felt so bad for him. It broke my heart to see him so sick. He did look cute in the hospital gown though. Once we talked to the doctor some more the nurses came back in to do a nasal swab. It was more of a nasal suction! They shoved a long tube in his nose to suck out mucus for a flu test. I fought back tears the whole time as I sat and watched my little boy suffer wishing there was something I could do for him. It took a little while to calm him down after that but he finally was able to rest. After a while the nurse came back in and said it was the flu.

He tested positive for influenza A and they said it was most likely H1N1 because the seasonal flu hasn't hit yet-Swine Flu GREAT! This is when that stupid saying "when pigs fly" popped into my head. I didn't think it would attack my family but it sure did. They started him on Tamiflu and suggested I see my doctor and get put on Tamiflu as well.

Cayden is feeling better but still fighting a fever off and on. He hates taking the Tamiflu because it tastes awful but he is a trooper about taking it. My doctor told me to stay away from him and wear a mask around the house to avoid getting it. Yeah right. I'm feeling good and having faith that I wont get it. Although I'm a little worried about Jared now. He just got home from work and is feeling pretty crummy. I guess I'd better go take care of my boys. I hope everyone is doing well.

~LOVE TO ALL~

P.S. The move was stressful but we are all moved in. Moved in but not unpacked. I'll post more on the move later.

4 comments:

Jen said...

So sorry to hear about Cayden. It's always hard to watch your kiddos in pain and want to help but feel helpless.
Hope you stay healthy!
Good luck

Julie said...

Well that is no good! Hope everyone is feeling better now and that you don't get sick.

Welcome back by the way! Glad your internet is up and running again.

Jess said...

Oh Katie and Jared I am so sad to hear how sick little Cayden is (hopefully was).. I hope he is feeling better and that YOU guys don't get it. What a cutie though. I loved what he said going in to the hospital.

Anyway, let us know if you need anything. Love you!

Unknown said...

What a scary night!